Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Importance of Ideology

The inability to see the role of religion – specifically the Islamic revival as the central element in the growing threat to civilization results in the erroneous search for other root causes and false solutions. This results in a dissipation of focus. I warned that our continual self-deception will have grave consequences. Most people today buckle under when barraged with promiscuous name-calling: “bigot, racist, prejudice, Islamophobia, etc.” There is a deliberate attempt to suppress any investigation of the religion’s role in today’s problems. Few have the facts or the courage to remain steadfast.

One man who has refused to be intimidated is Srdja Trifkovic. Read his latest article here. The fact that I don’t share some of his views on other topics is irrelevant. He’s written a good summary of our willing blindness.

I recommend Ibn Warraq’s “Why I Am Not a Muslim” to those unfamiliar with Islam – especially those with a secular disposition. I just came across Anthony Flew’s critical review of the book. Also, consider Daniel Pipes’ review. Once again, some won’t share Warraq’s general views on religion but his criticism of Islam is worth everyone’s consideration.

In general it is good to read a broad number of studies and abstract the essentials. No author has a monopoly on the truth. And the threat is a threat to us all – it dwarfs our differences.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Islam is not a threat. You're paranoid. And I write this knowing that saying you're paranoid only reaffirms your belief that you're bang on the money. And I don't care.

9/29/05, 10:41 PM  
Blogger beakerkin said...

How brave an anonymous coward who professes courage. Come back little man after you have found your cojones.

I have read Trifkovik but Warraq is intruiging. Perhaps he is on to something a fanning of Berber, Kurd and Persian nationalism to offset the Arab Colonial Wahabi strain of Islam is intruiginig.

9/30/05, 2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an anonymous coward. I have no cojones. Doesn't change anything though.

9/30/05, 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought about it and came up with another comeback.

At least I'm not a confused quasi-intellectual bigot.

9/30/05, 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the prophet's beard, "anonymous" (and by the way I've always enjoyed your poetry), your ability to come up with flawlessly-reasoned, cogently-argued, rebuttal-proof arguments leave me in awe.

9/30/05, 9:01 AM  
Blogger James G. said...

Jason,
You're right on the money about Warraq...Although "Why I am Not a Muslim" can be a hard slog at times due to its academic tone, it is very rewarding in the shear volume of information it conveys.

Good stuff.

9/30/05, 12:12 PM  
Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

Great post!

I`ve never read Warraq; It sounds like I should!

9/30/05, 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline - you mentioned on another thread that I'd linked to this site. Just so you know, I'm 'Interested' on Jihad Watch and Old Peculier here and at Harry's Place.

10/1/05, 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline - I'm sure you could give many of the HP'ers a run for their money. The site has few women posters, as I love to point out when they're being all PC! And women can often see, and feel viscerally, a downside to Islam that men don't always recognise.

Jason, and another American guy called Neal, have been real assets in the fight against HP lefty moonbattery.

10/1/05, 10:27 AM  

<< Home